Thursday, June 23, 2016

Evaluation and IDT

   In addition to CIPP, Rossi's Five Domain Evaluation Model, and Kirkpatrick's Training Evaluation Model, two other evaluation processes that I found to be interesting in Brinkerhoff's Success Case Method and The Outcome-Based Evaluation Model.

     One model I found was Brinkerhoff’s Success Case Method (SCM). It is a process that happens in 5 steps and focuses on finding out what trainings or other  interventions have been used and work. The steps are as listed below:

1.   Focus and plan the success case study. Then identify  the targeted business goals and impact expectations. 

2.   Then, construct a visual impact model. This  step includes explicating the major program goals and listing all impacts/outcomes that are hoped for or are expected to result from the program. You need to survey a large representative sample of all participants in a program to identify high impact and low impact cases. 

3.    Next, you conduct a survey research study to identify the best and the worst cases. From that survey, you analyze the survey data to identify a group of successful participants and a group of unsuccessful participants. 

4.    After step three, schedule and conduct in-depth interviews with multiple success cases to document the nature and business value of their application of learning and identify the performance factors that supported learning application and any obstacles that prevented it. 

5.     Finally, you need to write-up and communicate the findings after your evaluations. You do this by documenting, disseminating and telling the story. You can use this approach for any type of intervention, as long as it is designed to improve performance, including training, performance support systems, information solutions, communities of practice, improved feedback systems, informal and semi-structured learning initiatives and social learning initiatives. 

     So how or why would I choose this particular model?  This model would be useful to evaluate my way of  instruction by assessing how well my students are when it come to learning situations and outcomes of real life scenarios. To be successful learners, students need to be able to analyze, make inferences and be critical thinkers and problem solvers. 

     Another model that I found was The Outcome-Based Evaluation Model, (OBE Principles and Process). This model starts with a clear picture of what is important for students to be able to do, then organizing the curriculum, instruction and assessment to make sure this learning ultimately happens. With this model, there are four principles, which are clarity of focus, designing down, high expectations, and expanded opportunities. What I really likes about this model was that it recognized the overall results gained by the students solely based on how the curriculum increased their knowledge, changed their attitude, and what were the learned skills in the end. While most of the time my approach and motivations to get students to learn may not be considered "old school," I can honestly say that my approaches are effective for students to have success in their learning.  I will and always will be that teacher that uses a variety of tools and methods so that I am meeting all learning styles.

After reading these two sections and reflecting on the information, I think that evaluation in instructional design should really focus on making sure the students are able to apply skills and use them in the real world. When you really look at the big picture, our jobs as educators is to prepare students to be successful and viable citizens in the real world. We should always ask ourselves when planning instruction: Is my instruction purposeful, challenging and required high level thinking? 

I would definitely agree that return on investment and management of resources be considered in the evaluations of instructional programs.  Recently, our new superintendent has decided to make sure that our district will start to allocate a part of our budget to go towards implementing technology so that we can become a 21st century learning district. Even though it will take time and be costly, integrating to necessary technology and training to implement it properly into curriculum in the long run will help students successfully become adults that are able to flourish in today's society.




Rieser, R.A, Dempsey, J V.(2002).  Trends and issues in instructional design and technology.  Upper Saddler River, N.J.  Merrill Prentice Hall, c2002.

2 comments:

  1. I found the Outcome-Based Evaluation Model interesting because the main focus is the goal at the end of learning experience. Although it may seem simple, I think sometimes in education we get bogged down with many ideas and theories that need to be implemented and lose the importance of what it should learning. I like that this model refocuses on what truly is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,
    Good Job on explaining two additional evaluation models. I agree that return on investment should definitely be included in the evaluation process. Schools are already under strict budget restraints and my particular district is definitely one of them. We have to be very careful of how we spend the limited amount of money we have been given due to a budget deficient. If we can't see that the program is worth the investment, we will have to think twice about putting the money into the implementation. Evaluations allow us the opportunity to see if programs are successful and if the cost is worth the predicted outcomes based on evaluation results.

    ReplyDelete